Integration of doctoral students of the Konstanz Research School Chemical Biology (KoRS-CB) into the research environment and the constitutional framework of the University of Konstanz is facilitated by a variety of internal institutions. A central task is to reflect and to meet the needs and interests of young researchers in all areas concerning their stay at the University of Konstanz. Thus, KoRS-CB emphasizes the following measures and areas (in detail: please see the following articles):
- Service for International Fellows
- Career Support for Women
- Academic Staff Development
- Career Service
- Dual Career Couples
- Family Friendly Conditions
Doctoral Students Portal
The University of Konstanz has gathered all information that is relevant for doctoral students and students interested in pursuing an academic career at a Doctoral Students Portal.
Service for International Fellows
The Welcome Center of the University of Konstanz supports especially the international candidates and students by specific services, e.g.:
- Pick up service from the airport or station
- Assistance in all administrative matters previous to and upon arrival
- Support in finding appropriate accommodation
- Organization of language courses or individual instruction tailored to meet the candidates’ needs.
Career Support for Women
- Postdoc scholarships (start-up, bridging grants)
- Grants for travel expenses for accompanying children and partners or babysitters at conferences
- Laboratory support for young women scientists with children
- Information and qualification offers, e.g. in connection with applications for Ph.D. scholarships or funding opportunities
- Support with applications for scholarships for junior women academics with children (Margarethe-von-Wrangell-Habilitation Scholarship; Schlieben-Lange-Scholarship).
In addition, the Konstanz Research School Chemical Biology is member of MuT Baden-Württemberg (Mentoring und Training), a programme for the advancement of highly qualified female junior researchers. Women aiming at a full professorship are supported in realising their skills and making more effective use of their career opportunities. The programme provides participants with the opportunity to establish supportive relationships with experienced researchers, to overcome structural barriers and to gain knowledge and experience in the academic field.
Academic Staff Development
The Academic Staff Development of the University of Konstanz offers career support and human resources development including professional counseling and coaching, seminars and workshops across all disciplines, as well as information about careers in academia. In detail:
- Counseling on career planning
- Support in challenging situations of an academic career
- Orientation in the German higher education system
- Competency development for university teaching
- Counselling and skills development for improved time management
Dual Career Couples
With the Dual Career Programme the University of Konstanz offers advice and support for academic couples and dual-career couples by means of:
- Advice on contact opportunities for previous professional activities
- Cooperation with other universities in regard to opportunities for joint funding
- Contacts of the university with the regional economy and employers in the region.
The Career Service of the University of Konstanz especially emphasises on cooperation with regional institutions, corporations, and companies, as well as with the German Federal Job Agency. In addition, courses and workshops for students are regularly offered (in German language only).
Family Friendly Conditions
Doctoral researchers with children are supported by the University of Konstanz by means of:
- Day nursery places (60 places for children from 0 - 3 years-old)
- Holiday programmes for school children
- Project “Academic Study with Child”